[ RadSafe ] Re: The demise of LNT

jjcohen at prodigy.net jjcohen at prodigy.net
Fri Aug 12 10:14:29 CDT 2005

Rainer,
    I hope you are correct in predicting the approaching demise of LNT, but
I am not so sure. As scientists, we naturally believe that fact and logic
will ultimately prevail. However,
LNT was never really based on science. The adoption on LNT had a more
political basis intended to give the impression that radiation standards
provided an ultimate degree of safety. There has been an abundance of recent
assessments indicating that LNT is nonsense from a scientific standpoint.
However, there has been little, if any, action in the political arena.
    IMHO, scientific problems are best solved by science, while political
problems should be corrected by political action. Whether or not it has a
sound scientific basis, as long as LNT remains politically correct, it will
continue to prevail.

Jerry Cohen