AW: [ RadSafe ] AW: Low level radiation and cancer:

Christian Hofmeyr chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za
Fri Aug 12 15:20:03 CDT 2005

Dear Prof Cohen,
I intend voicing my concerns as soon as practicable, but
the Radsafe format (text) inhibits proper arguments
substantiated by diagrams. It might still take some time.

Incidentally, my (general) remark referred to the last
paragraph of my previous posting, which is relevant to your
study as well as epidemiological ones:

"Another problem is the effect of confounding changes in
lifestyle with time. Particularly lung cancer is very
problematic in this regard. The SEER statistics for the USA
show a very large gender differential in mortality of
almost a factor 5 during the 1970s, which narrowed
dramatically subsequently due to a levelling out and slight
decline of male lung cancer mortality, coupled with a
simultaneous steep rise in female LC mortality since the
1970s. These dramatic changes are most probably due to
changing smoking behaviour. This should give an indication
of the problems confronting domestic radon studies."

Regards
Chris.Hofmeyr at webmail.co.za