AW: [ RadSafe ] AW: Low level radiation and cancer:

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Sat Aug 13 09:44:36 CDT 2005

Christian Hofmeyr wrote:

>Incidentally, my (general) remark referred to the last
>paragraph of my previous posting, which is relevant to your
>study as well as epidemiological ones:
>
>"Another problem is the effect of confounding changes in
>lifestyle with time. Particularly lung cancer is very
>problematic in this regard. The SEER statistics for the USA
>show a very large gender differential in mortality of
>almost a factor 5 during the 1970s, which narrowed
>dramatically subsequently due to a levelling out and slight
>decline of male lung cancer mortality, coupled with a
>simultaneous steep rise in female LC mortality since the
>1970s. These dramatic changes are most probably due to
>changing smoking behaviour. This should give an indication
>of the problems confronting domestic radon studies."

       ---My studies gave the same results for effects of radon exposure
on lung cancer for males and for females. Very elaborate treatments of
smoking were included, including its variation with gender and with
time. When you do get around to offering suggestions, please make them
as specific as possible. They not be shown to be valid -- testing their
validity is my responsibility.