[ RadSafe ] query

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Aug 17 10:59:29 CDT 2005

For starters, both the Radsafe list and the poll are, as we all know,
not representative samplings of the radiation protection, scientific, or
other communities. I, for one, did not vote because my mind is truly
open on the subject and I don't "favor" any particular model. I think
any honest scientist must say that there is enough evidence for several
competing theories and a lack of understanding of the biological
mechanisms and proposed models that we will not know for some time what
may be happening at low doses and dose rates. I listened to the BEIR
group's defense of their work at the HPS meeting, and it was pretty
reasonable, given what they were working with in the way of data and
what their charge and audience were. I don't agree with every part of
their conclusions, but I found their position to be defensible. I
certainly reject the ideas of conspiracy theories advocated by some on
this list, for the BEIR, ICRP, NCRP, and other groups. I thought that
Feinendegen modeled better than anyone I have seen a way to approach the
data and models in a way that may advance our understanding and lead to
some consensus. People with their heels dug in either for or against one
model or theory do not advance the discussion, particularly when
aspersions are cast at members of other "camps".

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068