[ RadSafe ] Re: The (IEM) e-Newsletter -Psychoceramics ["Cracked Pot"] experts?

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Fri Aug 19 12:43:58 CDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:54:10 -0400 (EDT), <BergerIEM at aol.com> wrote:

> Clearly input from a  "psychohistorian", much like Isaac
> Asimov described in The Foundation  Trilogy, will be a "must".

========================
Dear colleagues,
Carol's mention of the potential input from a  "psychohistorian" to model
doses over 1,000,000 years or more reminded me that my undergrad school,
Brown University had a running joke that Dr. Josiah F. Carberry,
Professor-emeritus of psycho-ceramics [or an expert in "cracked pots"] was
visiting the campus.

Several times each year [and always on April 1st] Dr. Carberry had a
lecture scheduled on campus or was seen fleetingly and only the tail of
his overcoat photographed as he dashed around a corner and published in
the daily student paper. Of course, Carberry never showed up for his
lectures and no one ever got a look at his face.

Since ceramic matrix materials are planned to be used to stabilize some
high-level nuclear waste, it would seem in addition to a "psychohistorian"
Yucca and other projects will need to secure the expert services of one or
more "psychoceramicists" to have the needed input on "cracked pots".

Stewart Farber
Consulting Scientist
1285 Wood Ave.
Bridgeport, CT 06604