[ RadSafe ] We can't bury a few tritium atoms incorporated in foundation materials!?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 10:53:55 CDT 2005

Jim,
I thought that you are the Mass. State Nuclear
Engineer.

Can you do anything to influence the upcoming decision
that will allow the trivial amounts of  radiation
contaminaton?

--- "Muckerheide, James" <jimm at WPI.EDU> wrote:

> Friends,
> . . .
> Regards, Jim Muckerheide
>
> ===================
>

> More radioactive Yankee Rowe waste to pass through
> Vermont
>

> By Kathryn Casa | Vermont Guardian
>
> posted August 19, 2005
>. . .
>
> Officials of the shuttered Yankee Rowe nuclear power
> plant near Rowe, MA, had
> asked the Massachusetts Department of Environmental
> Protection (MassDEP) for
> a "beneficial use determination" (BUD) permit, which
> proposed leaving in
> place building foundations and other underground
> structures of the reactor
> containment building, one of the few structures left
> standing at the site.
>
> They also asked for permission to fill holes left by
> demolished foundations
> and other excavations with about 20 tons of concrete
> rubble from demolition
> of other structures at the site.
. . .
> But in a July 29 decision, MassDEP said the proposal
> could complicate cleanup
> of soil and groundwater contamination. "MassDEP has
> concluded that the BUD
> approval to abandon-in-place subsurface structures
> and reuse concrete rubble
> as fill shall be limited to only those materials
> with no distinguishable
> plant-related radioactivity above background level,"
> said MassDEP
> Commissioner Robert W. Golledge, Jr.
> . . .
> Yankee Rowe spokeswoman Kelley Smith said that plant
> officials and
> Massachusetts state officials are in negotiations
> about how much of the 23.7
> million pounds of concrete in the reactor support
> structure will have to be
> shipped out. That determination will be made after
> officials measure tritium
> background levels, she said.
>
> MassDEP spokeswoman Elizabeth Stinehart said the
> process used to determine
> background levels is "still under development."
> . . .

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com