[ RadSafe ] We can't bury a few tritium atoms

Susan Gawarecki loc at icx.net
Fri Aug 19 17:24:09 CDT 2005

When Brookhaven National Lab implemented a pump-and-treat system to
remove tritium from its groundwater, guess what they did with the
waste?  They put the tritium-contaminated water in tanker trucks and
shipped it to Duratek in eastern Roane County, TN (adjacent to the City
of Oak Ridge and DOE's Oak Ridge Reservation).  Duratek disposed of it
by using it as cooling water in its incinerator, adding enough each day
to bring the quantity up to their daily permit limit of tritium releases
to the air.

I always wondered what the NY activists would have thought had they
known.  I guess since it was out of their backyard, they really didn't
care who got the exposure...not to mention who may have been at risk by
the transportation campaign from NY to Tennessee.  At least we got a
little local economic boost by "treating" their waste.

Susan Gawarecki