AW: [ RadSafe ] AW: Gasteiner Heilstollen for holiday!?

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Mon Aug 22 12:10:03 CDT 2005

John:

Taken at face value you might speculate that increased (mainly) Radon exposure decreases lung cancer incidence (Badgastein vs. Salzburg). Yet the rather short paper does not present sufficient facts to make that case. However, I reproduce a reference which I gave you already recently which many years ago found already genotoxic evidence about what an underlying mechanism might be.

"It is suggested that the shape of the dose-response curve at these very low levels of radiation [at Badgastein] may result from the induction of repair enzymes." (already in 1979!)

Pohl-Rüling J, Fischer P, The dose-effect relationship of chromosome aberrations to alpha and gamma irradiation in a population subjected to an increased burden of natural radioactivity. Radiation Research 80(1979)61-81

BTW, Pohl-Rühling belongs to the luminaries in her field.

Regards, Rainer