[ RadSafe ] UN Report?

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Tue Aug 23 06:27:09 CDT 2005

Hi Roger,
Do either of these help a little?
Cheers,
Maury&Dog    maurysis at ev1.net
=====================
TWO REPORTS FROM C.A.D.U. NEWS, ISSUE 13 -Spring 2003:
UNEP Identifies DU Risks in Bosnia-Herzegovina
A team of experts fielded by the United Nations Environment Programme
(UNEP) has investigated 15 sites in Bosnia and Herzegovina targeted with
weapons containing depleted uranium (DU) during the mid-1990s. The UNEP
team used highly sensitive instruments to measure surface radioactivity
at 14 sites (one they could not enter due to nearby mines) These
measurements revealed the presence of radioactive "hot spots" and pieces
of DU weapons at three sites - the Hadzici tank repair facility, the
Hadzici ammunition storage area and the Han Pijesak barracks.
"Following a request by the Council of Ministers of Bosnia-Herzegovina,
UNEP is carrying out this scientific assessment", said Klaus Toepfer,
Executive Director of UNEP. "Seven years after the conflict, DU still
remains an environmental concern and, therefore, it is vital that we
have the scientific facts, based upon which we can give clear
recommendations how to minimize any risk."
"We are concerned about the situation at the Hadzici tank repair
facility and the Han Pijesak barracks", said Pekka Haavisto, Chairman of
UNEP DU projects. "The UNEP team detected DU-related materials and DU
dust inside buildings that are currently used by local businesses or, in
the case of Han Pijesak, by troops as storage facilities."
"Before using any DU-targeted building there should always be proper
clean-up. When people are working in buildings that have not been
decontaminated, unnecessary risks are being taken, and, therefore, we
will discuss with the Bosnia and Herzegovina authorities the need for
decontamination inside the buildings currently in use as a first
precautionary step. Such a job should be carried out by experts", said
Mr. Haavisto.

The UNEP team found that the general public is not aware of what DU
ammunition looks like and the dangers it can pose. UNEP will discuss
with the national civil protection authorities the possibility of
offering de- mining personnel, other local authorities involved in DU
work, and interested members of the public an easy-to-read flyer on the
issue of DU ammunition in the environment.
The two recommended precautionary measures of decontaminating the
targeted buildings and educating the public are consistent with those
proposed in UNEP's earlier DU studies in Serbia & Montenegro and Kosovo.

A medical sub-team composed of the experts from WHO and the US Army
Center (USACHPPM) visited three hospitals and examined medical data and
statistics in the Bosnia and Herzegovina Federation and in the Republika
Srpska.

The UNEP DU assessment is funded by the Governments of Italy and
Switzerland. The final results will be published in a UNEP report in
March 2003.
For more information, please contact: Pekka Haavisto, Chairman of UNEP
DU Projects, pekka.haavisto at unep.ch, See also
http://postconflict.unep.ch or http://www.unep.org

Kofi Annan addresses DU issue
In a message to the international community on the occasion of the
International day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in
War and Armed Conflict, (Nov 6th 2002) UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan
specifically referred to Depleted Uranium stating that it was damaging
to the environment.
In his speech, Kofi Annan stated that "While environmental damage is a
common consequence of war, it should never be a deliberate aim. Although
international conventions govern nuclear, chemical and biological
weapons, new technologies, such as depleted uranium ammunition, threaten
the environment".
The UNEP statement in relation to the International Day, concludes: "The
course for the future must be charted with a deeper respect for the
environment. Member States must take stock of the guidelines drawn up to
protect all victims of war. It is vital that maps be prepared and kept
to facilitate clean-up activities when former belligerents come to the
table to talk peace. The innocent should not be made to suffer long
after theweapons of war have been silenced.
For more info contact: N Nuttall, UNEP email: nick.nuttall at unep.org