[ RadSafe ] Matching Backgrounds for Gamma Count Rates

Minnema, Douglas Douglas.Minnema at nnsa.doe.gov
Wed Aug 24 10:59:01 CDT 2005

Phil and all,

I led a team that used this approach a few years ago in a study of a
beryllium (Be) contaminated building (fascinating study, but too long a
story to tell here).  We had cut 1-m^2 sections out of the carpets and beat
the dirt out in a plastic bag, then sent the dirt off for bulk analysis of
Be.  Knowing the bulk amount of Be, the mass of the dirt sample, and the
area of the carpet piece, we could convert the results into standard
contamination level units, which for Be are microgram per 100 cm^2.
Plotting the results in the manner described below allowed us to understand
very well what the background was and where the contamination was, since we
had no standard way of assessing background.  In the end we had sampled
about 180,000 ft^2 of buildings.

The process worked great, and seemed like old hand to the two of us on the
team that were HP's.  Interesting, though, the IH's on the team really
struggled with the concept.  (Not a critique of the individuals, only an
observation of fact since the method received much debate among the IH's who
looked at the results).  Good old RadCon math came to the rescue once more.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
National Nuclear Security Administration, US DOE