[ RadSafe ] Re: attn. Landauer Customers

Neill Stanford stanford at stanforddosimetry.com
Wed Aug 24 12:07:27 CDT 2005

This topic opens up an interesting and sometimes critical issue. In
subtracting background or transit response from a multi-element dosimeter,
the correct method is to subtract element specific values, not calculated
dose.
If you have a field dosimeter that is exposed say to low energy photons,
then add on some typical high energy background signal, the field dosimeter
response is muddied with the background radiation response. The <gross> dose
for the field dosimeter is calculated based on element readings that are not
indicative of the field exposure, but on a mix with higher energy photons.
Subtracting the dose calculated using the background dosimeter is not
accurate. If, on the other hand, you take the gross responses (field plus
bkgd) and subtract the background responses, you are then left with just
what the dosimeter received in the field and the dose is accurately
calcualted.

This may seem nitpicky or impractical or both, but the reality is that if
the field radiation and the background radiation are not the same quality,
subtracting dose gives you the wrong answer. The solution is to use
shipment-specific background dosimeters and have the background element
have an estimated background element value subtracted and then simply check
the actual background dosimeters to ensure that none showed a positive
result.

Neill Stanford, CHP
Stanford Dosimetry, LLC
PO Box 935