[ RadSafe ] Terrorist WMD Attacks Might Not Cause Mass Casualties, British Scientists Say

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Wed Aug 24 15:54:06 CDT 2005

Hi all,
Interesting summary of balanced information on WMD health impacts worth
reading from the British Health Protection Agency’s Center for Emergency
Preparedness and Response.

Stu Farber
farbersa at optonline.net

Stewart Farber
Consulting Scientist
1285 Wood Ave.
Bridgeport, CT 06604
[203] 367-0791 [office]

====================
Source:

http://www.nti.org/d_newswire/issues/2005_8_24.html#2FE9F236

Terrorist WMD Attacks Might Not Cause Mass Casualties, British Scientists
Say

A terrorist attack using chemical, biological, or radiological weapons
would be unlikely to result in mass casualties, the London Times reported
today (see GSN, Aug. 12).Scientists at the British Health Protection
Agency’s Center for Emergency Preparedness and Response at Porton Down —
the control center for the response to any chemical, biological or
radiological attack — have been coordinating planning for such incidents
since April 2003. “We shouldn’t be complacent, but it is important for the
public to realize that while there would be deaths, as there would be in
[a] conventional attack using explosives, there would not be the kind of
widespread catastrophe that they might imagine,” said Nigel Lightfoot,
director of Emergency Response Capability.“In the event of a biological
release, we’d begin to see a picture emerge in the same way as we would
monitor, say, a flu outbreak,” said Gordon MacDonald, head of Emergency
Strategic Planning.General practitioners are ready to report patients
showing particular symptoms, and health authorities are prepared to
quickly respond to an apparent outbreak, according to the Times.“We then
initiate a program of tracing people with whom victims have come into
contact and what we call ‘ring vaccination.’ People most closely exposed
are treated with the relevant medicines, while we give prophylactic
vaccines to stop the disease spreading. That is how smallpox was
eradicated in the 1970s. We are not saying that there might not be
fatalities, but we could prevent any widespread disaster,” MacDonald
said.A radiological “dirty” bomb is also unlikely to produce mass
casualties, said Michael Clark of the agency’s Radiation Protection
Division.“Those closest to the release would be worst affected, but the
most serious damage would be caused by the actual explosion,” Clark said.
“There might be areas that would have to be evacuated for a time and
decontaminated, but the worst-affected area would be relatively small.” In
addition, preparation of a dirty bomb, which would involve gathering
industrial or medical radioactive substances, would pose a lethal danger
to those involved in the process, Clark said. “They’d try to get hold of
cesium 137, cobalt 60, strontium 90 or iridium 192 in small amounts over
time,” he said. “But being exposed to that would make them very sick very
quickly. Within days they wouldn’t be able to function and would die. Even
with people prepared to commit suicide … [it] would require a large team.
… They could survive longer with small amounts but that would make a dirty
bomb less effective.” Release of a chemical agent would be equally
unlikely to kill large numbers of people, Lightfoot said.“The most likely
release would have to be in an enclosed space, such as the Tube system,
because these agents disperse and become harmless very quickly in open
spaces,” Lightfoot said. “Once an assessment is made, victims would be
taken away from the incident as soon as possible. In the event of a
nerve-agent attack they would be given atropine, an antidote that can save
lives if administered quickly,” Lightfoot said. “Again, let us not pretend
that there would not be fatalities, but they could be limited by swift
action. Twelve people died in the Tokyo incident [see GSN, Aug. 22], which
was a tragedy, but you might argue that more would have died in a
conventional explosion. So the main effect here would be psychological,
and would not necessarily result in more deaths than a conventional
attack,” he said.Independent experts agreed with the government
scientists’ assessments. “Historically, the use of chemical or biological
weapons has been regarded as unreliable and indiscriminate by armed
forces. That might not deter terrorists because their aim is not efficient
killing,” said Professor Christopher Bellamy, director of the Security
Studies Institute at Cranfield University.“The terrorists might achieve
their aim — to terrify people — but the casualties would probably not be
high,” Bellamy said (Steve Boggan, The Times, Aug. 24).

--