[ RadSafe ] Re: attn. Landauer Customers

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 24 18:21:00 CDT 2005

Hi Dale,

This all has to do with source geometry, is it a point source, several point sources, or more like a line source. location of source(s), distance, angle, etc. This is not an unusual observation.

Regards,

Sandy

On 24 Aug 2005 at 18:01, Dale Boyce wrote:

> John's point is definitely a real one. While I have personally seen
> doses as high as 300 mrem from intransit, I have seen a report come
> back for a couple of thousand badges, several hundred of which had
> exposures reported between 10 and 50 mrem with most in the 20 to 30
> mrem category.
>
> Since these films were all shipped in the same box, one wonders why
> the spread in reported exposure. Even though it is a lot of badges
> when shipped as the film only the box is pretty small.
>
> Also, what correction could be applied in such a case if the control
> showed 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 mrem?
>
> I guess one solution is to not use carriers that also handle isotopes.
> The second best would be to not use the same carrier(s) that deliver
> isotopes to your facility, since the most probable place for the
> badges to be placed near a source in transit is during final delivery.
> However, in the case mentioned different carriers were used, but the
> one delivering the badges also does or at least did transport RAM.
>
> Dale

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/