[ RadSafe ] Re: attn. Landauer Customers

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Wed Aug 24 20:14:26 CDT 2005

Hi Sandy,

Of course I understand that geometry is part of it, but take a box with very
small dimensions, and a radioactive shipment with dose rates high enough to
expose the badges.  The radioactive shipment will always have dimensions
large compared to the  small box. Even if the badge box was sitting on the
shipment the dose rate across the small box should not vary much.

However, the main point is how can one make a reasonable correction to the
report?  Assume a facility where the expected dose is next to nothing, but
that some people really do get exposures.  It is awfully hard to justify
either zeroing out the people that are likely to have received the dose, or
to believe the ones that shouldn't have had the exposure.  Something that an
automated process at the vendor would have more trouble dealing with
(possibly) than the vendor.

Probably the best solution if this occurs is to treat all the badges as
damaged/lost and to replace them with estimated doses, except in the cases
where the badges receive dose significantly higher than the typical "in
transit" exposure.

Dale