[ RadSafe ] Re: attn. Landauer Customers

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 24 20:28:57 CDT 2005

Hi Dale,

A few comments provided below:

On 24 Aug 2005 at 20:14, Dale Boyce wrote:

> Hi Sandy,
>
> Of course I understand that geometry is part of it, but take a box
> with very small dimensions, and a radioactive shipment with dose rates
> high enough to expose the badges.  The radioactive shipment will
> always have dimensions large compared to the  small box. Even if the
> badge box was sitting on the shipment the dose rate across the small
> box should not vary much.

This still depends on what the source is, what's between the source
and the box of dosimeters, the angle, the self-shielding within the
box of dosimeters, the orientation of each dosimeter in the box, etc.
Recall that the various elemental values are run through an
algorithm. If the pattern is "reasonable" then a dose is usually
assigned. It is not my accountability to second guess whether or not
a dose is "appropriate". What is my accountability is to inform a
client whether or not it "appears" that there was an inadvertent
irradiation of the shipment, and whether or not an assessment can be
made.

> However, the main point is how can one make a reasonable correction to
> the report?  Assume a facility where the expected dose is next to
> nothing, but that some people really do get exposures.  It is awfully
> hard to justify either zeroing out the people that are likely to have
> received the dose, or to believe the ones that shouldn't have had the
> exposure.  Something that an automated process at the vendor would
> have more trouble dealing with (possibly) than the vendor.

One should never zero out an exposure. As I stated above, the
responsibility for one's dose remains with the individual, and not
the processor. If we note the Controls have been irradiated, we don't
use them for subtracting elemental responses from the individual's
dosimeter elemental responses. We provide information on the report
that states that the controls were irradiated and what process we
used to provide for some subtraction. However, the individual needs
to accept, reject or provide a written estimate as to what they want
used for a dose for the respective period in question. I as a
processor will not make that determination.

> Probably the best solution if this occurs is to treat all the badges
> as damaged/lost and to replace them with estimated doses, except in
> the cases where the badges receive dose significantly higher than the
> typical "in transit" exposure.

If all of the controls have an equal irradiation, and the spare
badges show the same elemental responses, on could consider using
those values as a subtraction for each element. Then the individual
assesses whether or not the result is valid. If there is variation
across the shipment, and nothing is statistically equivalent, then
the results should be rejected and an estimate be provide din lieu of
the dosimeter for that period. That is what we did in the power
reactor in that we had secondary electronic dosimetry worn. In that
most do not in the medical community or university environment, there
are other acceptable methods to derive an estimated dose.

Regards,

Sandy