[ RadSafe ] Central Dose registry

Doug Aitken daitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Aug 25 12:16:32 CDT 2005

At 08:44 AM 8/25/2005, Sandy wrote:
>Switzerland also has a registry.

I believe Norway also has one. When I worked there (quite a while back -
early 90's), they still had a state-run film badge dosimetry service. As
this was not much use for the sources we use in the oil industry (Cs 137,
AmBe), commonly companies would contract an outside vendor for TLD +
Neutron badges. Now I believe, the Norwegian authorities accept these
(secondary) dose measurements from 3rd parties and register them.

A similar situation existed in many other countries (specifically, I
remember Venezuela was one) where they also had an "approved" local vendor
(who maintained the "registry" for the government) and we were obliged to
use them. In most cases, the local vendor was not supplying adequate
dosimetry (and generally, as their major activity was X-ray technicians,
they also used film badges). But also, some were not interested in the
additional complexity of incorporating 3rd party dose readings, so the
companies would maintain their own record with their Dosimetry vendor of
choice. A bit of a PITA to have to wear two badges, especially in the lousy
environment of an oil rig.......

Doug Aitken
Schlumberger D&M QHSE Advisor
Office (rarely!)        281-285-8009