[ RadSafe ] More Fed agency promulgation of radiophobia

Dukelow, James S Jr jim.dukelow at pnl.gov
Fri Aug 26 16:07:37 CDT 2005

Contrary to James Salsman's reassurances, parts of Idaho were among of
the areas most heavily exposed by fallout (mostly Cs/Sr) for
above-ground weapons testing in Nevada.  On the other hand, Eastern
Washington got very little exposure from the various bomb plumes.

With regard to the Hanford I-131 exposure map, it is interesting to note
how much smaller the 10 rad exposure area for 1946-51 cumulative
exposures is than the area for 1945 exposures, even though new
facilities were continually added at Hanford during the 46-51 time
period.  This reflects early changes in operations protocols,
particularly addition of silver filters to the airborne release path.

The other thing to remember is that Hanford releases were the subject of
two expensive multi-year studies.  The first, the Hanford Dose
Reconstruction Study, estimated the dose to people living in locations
around the Hanford site from 1944-52 releases.  The second, the Hanford
Thyroid Disease Study, compared thyroid disease in cohorts in counties
near Hanford and in control/unexposed counties in the northern part of
Washington State.  No significant thyroid disease was found in the
Hanford release areas.  There was an additional ATSDR study of fetal and
neo-natal deaths in the counties surrounding the Hanford Site for the
years 1941-1951, or thereabouts.  No effects of the beginning of Hanford
operations were found in that study (there were two statistically
significant results among the 45 confidence intervals constructed, about
what you would expect from Type I errors at the 95% confidence level;
there was no consistent pattern of association of health outcomes with
proximity to Hanford in the data set).  The ATSDR people hated that.
There were lots of more or less obvious socio-economic associations in
the data.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow at pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.