[ RadSafe ] More Fed agency promulgation of radiophobia

Mike Fox foxm011 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Aug 26 16:10:17 CDT 2005

All:
As one who has lived, worked, and raised healthy kids around Hanford, and
who has written and studied a lot about the health effects around Hanford,
there has been a lot of nonsense written about it, even by "credible" (read
incredible) scientists.  The first rule of toxicology says that "the dose
makes the poison", yet rarely do any of the critics mention anything about
the doses.

The Hanford Thyroid Disease Study (HTDS) developed the model for exposures
from Hanford to the public.  The results were revealing.  First I must say
that no credible cancer mortality excesses are found around Hanford, as
Ethel Gilbert et al found.  The Standard Mortality Ratio (SMRs for Thyroid
Cancer Mortality among the Hanford workers were well below 1.0).  This study
was in the desparate search for ANY adverse health effects to the thyroid in
people around Hanford.

The Hanford Environmental Dose Reconstruction (HEDR) study estimated that
the highest I-131 doses were comparable to those experienced in thousands of
thyroid patients studied ad nauseum by Holm et al and others.  These found
little or no adverse health effects from these I-131 exposures.   The
Hanford doses were basically  in the 1940s with the following pathway.  The
maximum doses were estimated by assuming:
1.  that the recipient was a small child (the most vulnerable)
2.  That small child lived downwind at the time of release (wind roses from
Hanford meteorological station show the predominant wind direction was from
the NW to the SE)
3.  that the child drank milk taken directly from the cow (most kids drank
bottled milk at that time imported from elsewhere)
4.  That the cow mostly ate contaminated pasture grass at the time of
release (many cows ate bailed hay instead)
5.  That the cow had a healthy thyroid.

More recently the study done by Scott Davis et al the University of
Washington also found little or no adverse health effects of their study of
Hanford.

I would also like to add that none of these studies  made any corrections
for dietary iodine.  As Dr. Marshall Brucer, first president of the Society
of Nuclear Medicine, pointed out many times, often humorously,in his book "A
Chronology of Nuclear Medicine"  both excesses and deficiencies of dietary
iodine give rise to a considerable list of observable adverse health
effects.  These were common in the 30s and 40s (before the widespread use of
iodized salt, when these exposures occurred).

No one discusses these effects either.  Since there are no observable
excesses of thyroid cancer mortality among the workers or the public,
politics and money shifted the emphasis to a desparate search for any
adverse health effect, however unlikely, or implausible.  And other causes
of adverse effects on the thyroid (such as dietary defiecneis and excesses
of iodine) were ignored.  In this way all adverse thyroid health effects
were blamed on Hanford, whether it caused them or not.  (Yes, I know.
Gilbert showed an excess of multiple myeloma as I recall, 3 observed and 1
expected.  At the 95% level of confidence we'd expect, with declining
probabilities, one or two excesses to occur out of 20 types of cancer from
chance.  This is related to the problems of dealing with small sample sizes
of rare diseases.)

Not to be outdone the DOE now makes available millions of your tax dollars
and mine dollars now to those "victims" of Hanford.  They don't even have to
prove they were harmed!!  The studies above in some cases cost nearly $30
million keeping a lot of "credible" people employed.  But I digress.
Mike