[ RadSafe ] Risk in general - not radiation-specific

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Tue Aug 30 19:39:55 CDT 2005

In a message dated 8/29/2005 6:04:03 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu writes:

<<Sacks of money
are given away by the federal government to  "victims" who do not even
need to show an actual deleterious effect in some  cases. Meanwhile real
risks, that cause actual caskets to be filled with  bodies on a daily
basis, are not addressed. I suggest that the fault lies  with us
scientists as communicators. If we cannot make our  arguments
persuasively in the public arena, and cannot dissemble the absurd  claims
of the disingenuous groups and individuals that seek to mislead  the
public, perhaps we are not as smart as we think we  are.>>

Exactly!  This is our problem, and we need to find a way to  communicate
better in this area.  We also need to demand that our public  agencies address
these issues.  They are paid to be the experts on the  pubic's behalf, yet few
agencies will risk proactively addressing these issues,  or even reactively (by
responding to alarmist items in the press).  This is  part of their duty and
mission, but they are rarely to be found in fray.

Barbara