[ RadSafe ] Two unrelated questions for the group

Baumbaugh, Joel SPAWAR joel.baumbaugh at navy.mil
Fri Dec 2 10:38:47 CST 2005

Doug,

Question one: I have a Americium source from a smoke detector which
survived a wooden-building fire (I assume its double-walled stainless
steel?). I've swiped it and the LSC has never shown any leakage.  I
couldn't/wouldn't throw it away because out of the detector its no
longer exempt, so I use it as a check-source and a "show-and-tell" when
I train new users.

Just my 2-cents (my own personal observation).

Question 2: I can't help you with your other question although I'm very
interested in the projected/potential dose to the astronauts (both
in-flight and once they're on the ground) - I think that NASA's
discussed a specially shielded room to hover in, in case of solar
flares.

Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug at nosc.mil)

SSC-SD

All,

I have two unrelated questions that I'm combining into one e-mail for

convenience.

The first one has to do with Am-241 sources in smoke detectors.  What

happens when the smoke detector is burned in a building fire?  Is the
source

expected to survive intact or is there a potential for a release of some

type?

Second question: