[ RadSafe ] Two unrelated questions for the group

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Fri Dec 2 12:15:30 CST 2005

The Am-241 sources used in smoke detectors are not sealed sources. The
sources are manufactured by mixing the Am-241 powder with a powdered  metal
such as gold and rolled into a very thin sheet. The sheet active sheet is
sandwiched between two sheets of soft metal and again rolled to form a
laminated sheet with non active metal on the outside and the active metal
sheet in the middle. When the rolling is completed, small discs are punched
from the laminate. These discs are the foils contained in the smoke
detectors.

In the early days of smoke detectors, the various vendors subjected the
foils to all sorts of environmental tests including soaking them in
simulated human digestion system liquids to see if the Am-241 leached out.
As a result of these very extensive tests,the manufacturers were able to get
the NRC to authorize their distribution to the public as generally licensed
devices.

Numerous smoke detectors have been burned and otherwise mistreated. With
only a few exceptions, I am not aware of any that ever resuted in
contamination.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI   Houston