[ RadSafe ] People with an agenda can exploit the frailties and uncertainties of epidemiological studies.

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 22:15:38 CST 2005

Dear Mr Stewart Farber,

  Claims such as the one made by Mangano et. al  are accepted by lay people primarily because they do not have knowledge about fall out etc. People with hidden agenda are a committed lot. They will exploit the frailtiesand uncertainties inherent in epidemiological studies ruthlessly and to some extent irrationally to their advantage. Let me assure you that it is a very frustrating experience.

  Your detailed note on variation of  weapons fall out will convince any one. But people conditioned by fear will be less amenable to reasoning. Still we have to try.

  Regards

  K.S.Parthasarathy

farbersa at optonline.net wrote:
  Hi all,
The most recent post by Norm Cohen relates to claims by Mangano, et. al that have nothing to do with baby teeth and Sr-90. Mangano is merely using the discredited techniques of Sternglass of using a narrow window of time and picking a time period of some health statistic to compare to another narrow window of time to claim some effect. Mangano is merely a Sternglass wannabe whose work fails on a first order analysis.

Regarding the supposed effects of Sr-90 from nuclear plants that they claim to measuring in baby teeth, we know that 99++% of all Sr-90 in the environment near any nuclear plant is from open air testing of nuclear weapons. The variations in Sr-90 and Cs-137 in the environment from nuclear bomb test fallout are so large as to dwarf any trivial releases of these isotopes from any given nuclear plant.

I've discussed this point before in earlier posts to Radsafe related to Cs-137 in woodash varying from 300 pCi/kg of ash in CA to 30,000 pCi/kg of wood ash from northern FL, no where near a nuclear plant. Sr-90 deposition in various parts of the country would have varied by similar amounts since there is a certain average ratio of Sr-90/Cs-137 in weapon's test fallout. Despite the claims of the TFP, Mangano, and Sternglass, their aggegate of work irregardless of the technique for measurements of Sr-90 in baby teeth, is nothing more than agenda science, the conclusions of which were determined before the first tooth was ever analyzed.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
The Prometheus Group, LLC
203 367-0791