AW: [ RadSafe ] Seabrook Nukes and cancers: TFP

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Dec 27 11:47:27 CST 2005

Edmond and RADSAFErs,

Having returned from a longer stay in Tunesia I find information about the
most recent, ridiculous TFP nonsense on RADSAFE - it is a good laugh.

As to the analytical aspects of determination of Sr-90 in teeth: We carried
out a research programme on retrospective determination of Sr-90 in red-deer
antlers (an excellent bioindicator!!) in order to determine the
environmental contamination by Sr-90 during the late fifties up to the mid
90's. We developed a method in which we used 1 to 2 g of material from the
antlers, using the ultra low-level liquid scintillation counter "Quantulus"
and this amount was more than sufficient to perform at least two parallel
determinations.

The laboratory which performs Sr-90 analyses for the TFP uses a "Quantulus"
and as far as I have been able to gather information about the chemical
separation methods used, Ra-226 is separated (and anyway hardly present in
teeth) and correct protocols are followed. Therefore the results seem to me
to be trustworthy.

The "gag" with the TFP is that it is an excellent example for how correct
data can be easily used to support nonsensical claims, to distort facts, to
make ridiculous correlations "confirming" totally wrong statements and how
to manipulate scientific evidence and results for self-serving purposes.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR