[ RadSafe ] Seabrook Nukes and cancers: TFP

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Wed Dec 7 10:36:20 CST 2005

Hi all,
On the point made by Ed Baratta. In 1977, I presented a paper to the New England Chapter of the HPS on the total environmental inventories of Cs-137, Sr-90, and Pu-239 from prior nuclear weapon's test fallout. A very important point I showed was that the annual decay of the pre-existing inventory of each of these isotopes was larger than the releases to the environment were there to be 1,000 nuclear reactors in operation in the year 2000.

For any given location, given the areal deposition from prior fallout, the same would be true. The existing concentration of Sr-90 per unit area near any nuclear plant could NOT even be MAINTAINED given the annual decline due to radiological decay of the existing environmental inventory, and the actual current or maximally allowed releases of Sr-90 from any given plant. The same held for Cs-137 and Pu-239.

The recent "claims" of Mangano, Sternglass, et. al. are nothing but manipulated statistics that would and should be laughable if they did not get the unwarranted attention by media and concerned, but gullible members of the public which have no ability to critique the claims.

One would hope that some real data as is the case with the analyses from the FDA lab would have some impact. Regretably, this is not the case since actual, supportable radiological data and the implications of it is not reaching the public, media, or legislators in an understandable and impactful manner.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
The Prometheus Group, LLC
203 367-0791

"No matter how cynical I get, it's hard to keep up." --Lili Tomlin