[ RadSafe ] Activity question

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 21:37:40 CST 2005

Jerry,
It appears that 70Bq/g (approximately 2 nCi/gm is more
liberal than your < 1.0 nCi/gm.  Obviously, the LNT
had no part in the NRC's decision, otherwise they
would have picked your more conservative limit.

--- jjcohen at prodigy.net wrote:

> Several years ago, we did a study for the NRC, that
> recommended that
> anything <1.0 nci/g  (regardless of the
> radionuclides(s) involved) could be
> considered "essentially not radioactive" for
> regulatory purposes. They did
> not accept the recommendation, largely due to
> prevailing LNT beliefs. Just
> out of curiosity,  does anyone know of any dire
> health and safety
> consequence that might have resulted if this
> recommendation had been
> implemented.

"Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction."
"John F. Kennedy, U.S. President and former Naval Officer

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com