[ RadSafe ] MPH

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 21:59:19 CST 2005

On 29 Dec 2005 at 21:50, Mitchell W. Davis wrote:

> As far as credentials go, would you
> agree that the credential of CHP is the most significant in our field
> and would stand up in a litigious environment regardless of college
> degree?

I personally don't subscribe to the notion that the CHP behind one's
name is the most significant validation point, be it in the work
environment or in a court litigation. I think what is important is
the entire picture, and the CHP is certainly one of the important
factors. A CHP is like any other individual, and their expertise may
be in one or several areas. Therefore, unless they have real
experience to go along with the CHP, they're only as good as what
they read about, and not actually living the subject. Those who I've
had the most respect for in my power reactor days are those who not
only didn't have a CHP, but no degree at all. They did know how to
solve problems though, and I know too many CHPs, Ph.Ds and others who
simply can't think on their feet. In other words, unless they have
the map in front of them, they trip over their own feet.

I want to reiterate that this is not a generalization. It is based on
my 35 years in the industry. Maybe I'm getting too cynical in my old
age!  :)

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/