AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Wed Jul 20 15:07:52 CDT 2005

Please consider making a greater distinction between science and
politics. All of us recognize the importance of intersubjective
agreement regarding definitions and so on while also recognizing that
the methodology of science is not merely a matter of popular appeal.
In passing, I choose (my bias) to note also the import of the
preponderance of evidence.

Therefore, polling should aim beyond LNT as such. Polling would be
better directed toward some semblence of cost:benefit analyses of
regulatory options, their bases, and educated (expert?) opinions about
optimum regulatory applications (politics).

The uphill effort has been and remains obvious. The rules of evidence
for science are not shared by law, theology, politics, and the arts.  We
humans place tremendous value in superstitution and belief combined
increasingly with the shelter of rules and "going by the book". And we
pay the huge costs of having our cake while avoiding the judgments and
responsibilies for obtaining the cake.

And those darn scientists keep trying to peel away the wool over our
eyes!  Poll the politics of the matter, not the science.

Cheers and with admiration for all of you in this applied science,
Maury&Dog
"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather
straps."