[ RadSafe ] DOE warns CH2M Hill about exposure

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 21 09:39:37 CDT 2005

>>there were SOP deficiencies/departures which can never be
tolerated.  The other critical issue was that the 274 mrem exposure
apparently was not fully accounted for under an a priori ALARA
process.  These two items should always be of concern to the
workforce, and actively sought out by management.

It is unusual that as a vendor principal deriving revenue from the
LNT-regulated community, you have decided to "continue to recommend
to students graduating to stay as far away from this industry as they
can." How productive can that possibly be?<<

Hello Rick,

I agree with the issue regarding SOP and having a functional ALARA
program. These programmatic issues should never be tolerated. I have
no arguments with that.

I was not pushing the LNT philosophy, either pro or con. I was simply
focusing on the issue of whether or not a dose of 274 mrem, planned
or un-planned, should have been one of the issues focused on.
Question: Suppose the dose was only 100 mrem, just slightly higher
than the annual average 74 mrem neutron dose. Would the response and
outrage from the DOE office been the same?

As as students getting into this industry, let me clarify. I agree
with Mike Stabin, that I was focusing more on nuclear power and DOE
facilities. Granted, there may be initiation of new power plants in
the USA, but having been in nuclear power for ~ 22 years, the
downside is too great. There is no guarantee of a viable future or
satisfactory career. Would I want to start now, in the current work
environment, morale issues, etc.? No, and I can't recommend that. I
do see a large demand in the medical community, and I do recommend
that students assess those opportunities for their career.

Let the dialogue continue!

Regards,

Sandy
-------------------------------------
Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at earthlink.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/