AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

Dukelow, James S Jr jim.dukelow at pnl.gov
Thu Jul 21 13:49:45 CDT 2005

To nitpick about John's anecdote:  It was the 1940 election with
Republican Wendell Wilkie opposing Roosevelt, who was running for a
tradition-breaking third term (a possibility later ruled out by
constitutional amendment).  The poll was conducted by the magazine
Literary Digest and it was a telephone poll.  I showed Wilkie winning in
a landslide, the very opposite of what happened in the actual election.
Literary Digest went bankrupt shortly thereafter.  The whole affair was
taken very seriously by political pollster, who modified their polling
techniques to try to assure polling samples representative of the
eventual electorate.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory