AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 15:57:55 CDT 2005

Jim,
I appreciate the corrections.  I had heard the story
many years ago, and do not mind being corrected if I
am wrong.

--- "Dukelow, James S Jr" <jim.dukelow at pnl.gov> wrote:

> To nitpick about John's anecdote:  It was the 1940
> election with
> Republican Wendell Wilkie opposing Roosevelt, who
> was running for a
> tradition-breaking third term (a possibility later
> ruled out by
> constitutional amendment).  The poll was conducted
> by the magazine
> Literary Digest and it was a telephone poll.  I
> showed Wilkie winning in
> a landslide, the very opposite of what happened in
> the actual election.
> Literary Digest went bankrupt shortly thereafter.
> The whole affair was
> taken very seriously by political pollster, who
> modified their polling
> techniques to try to assure polling samples
> representative of the
> eventual electorate.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Jim Dukelow
> Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
> Richland, WA
> jim.dukelow at pnl.gov

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com