[ RadSafe ] Traveling After Nuclear Medicine Procedure

Mccormick, Luke I luke.mccormick at dhs.gov
Fri Jul 22 16:51:33 CDT 2005

We do use a lot more info than just a piece of paper. We have radioisotope
identifiers and can recognize the majority of radiopharmaceuticals, but the
procedure means pulling the person out of line to a secondary area,
scanning them for between 1 and 5 minutes, sometimes having to upload the
spectrum to our lab people for a positive ID. People are not happy to be
held up in secondary, even for a few minutes. We have more than 1.1 million
persons entering the country (legally) every day, the majority of them are
aliens. A lot of other countries do diagnostic and nuc med procedures, and
that thyroid ablation is a heck of a lot cheaper in most other countries.
Let the lawyers talk to the foreign pharmacist who sells I-131 over (or
under) the counter.