[ RadSafe ] Re: traveling after nucmed procedures

Carol Marcus csmarcus at ucla.edu
Sun Jul 24 10:12:02 CDT 2005

Dear George and Radsafers:

NRC has been told for years to increase the qualifications for physicians
wishing to practice nuclear medicine.  However, NRC has to fund its
deleterious "medical" program with User Fees, and these fees are already
outrageously high and Congress does not want to see an increase.  If NRC
quit selling licenses to poorly qualified physicians, it would lose a large
amount of money, and have to lay off workers.  While I think that this
would be terrific, NRC will never do this without Congressional action such
as a law or refusal to approve NRC's "medical" program budget.  That's not
going to happen without enormous pressure.  One is basically going up
against the American College of Radiology and the American College of
Cardiology, and that's tough.  By the way, one of the main reasons given by
cardiologists for developing nuclear cardiology is that the diagnostic
radiologists did such an unacceptably poor job of it, which was true.

NRC, in its recent revision of Part 35, decreased physician requirements to
practice nuclear medicine, having been successfully lobbied by non-nuclear
medicine physicians.  I personally believe that the radiation hazards of
nuclear medicine procedures are virtually non-existent, but that the real
danger lies in exposing unwitting patients to care by poorly qualified
physicians who cannot offer the full spectrum of nuclear medicine procedure
choice, cannot determine the appropriate way to perform the needed
procedures, and cannot competently interpret the results, depending upon
technologists for procedure choice and image interpretation, a function
technologists are incapable of performing competently.  NRC therefore, in
my mind, is a greater danger to public health and safety than the nuclear
medicine materials it purports to regulate.

Nuclear medicine is the only medical specialty in which the standard of
medical practice is malpractice, given the poor quality of many of the
physicians that practice it.  We can thank the NRC for this.

And now, given that many technologists are basically asked to practice
nuclear medicine by the unqualified physicians they work for, the techs
have decided to develop a "supertech", analogous to a nurse
practitioner.  Will NRC license these supertechs to practice nuclear
medicine?  If NRC stands to make more money in User Fees, it probably
will.  NRC has repeatedly shown itself to have no ability to intelligently
regulate any kind of medicine or any kind of pharmacy, and I do not believe
it should be permitted to do so.  This is not just my opinion---this was
also the opinion of the National Academy of Sciences-Institute of Medicine
in its 1996 study, "Radiation In Medicine: A Need For Regulatory Reform".

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus at ucla.edu>