[ RadSafe ] Re: [ RadSafe] What Became of this 2001 WHO Investigation?

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Mon Jul 25 17:34:37 CDT 2005

Susan,

Thank you for your message to RADSAFE and me below.  Your posts
are not making it to the RADSAFE list, perhaps because you are
posting from a different address than where you are subscribed.

"Tigris River water is a concentrated cocktail of pesticides,
fertilizers, oil, gasoline and heavy metals, reports
Dr. Husni Mohammed, an Iraqi who holds a PhD in Environmental
and Biological Science and has researched the condition of
the Tigris.  Raw sewage mixes with particles from antiquated
piping and US-fired depleted uranium munitions, he says...."
-- http://newstandardnews.net/content/?action=show_item&itemid=481

Perhaps irrigation water in the river basins is to blame,
rather than rainfall.  Both can wash uranium combustion
products into the water table.

U3O8, the main combustion product of uranium, produces uranyl
oxide gas vapor fumes as it cools.  R.J. Ackermann, et al.,
in J Phys Chem, vol. 64 (1960) pp. 350-5 state in their
abstract, "gaseous monomeric uranium trioxide is the principal
species produced by the reaction of U3O8 with oxygen."  They
indicate that this occurs at 1200 to 1800 Kelvin, below the
temperatures reached by pyrophoric uranium ordnance fires.
Please see: E.M. Mouradian, and L. Baker, Jr., "Burning
Temperatures of Uranium and Zirconium in Air," Nuclear
Science and Engineering, vol. 15 (1963), p. 388-394, in
particular Figure 6 on page 392, and Figure 3.

You can probably guess the solubility of monomolecular uranyl
oxide gas vapor fumes, UO3(g), without having to consult the
CRC handbook or webelements.com.  If inhaled, such particles
enter the bloodstream immediately.  I suppose ordinary
gravitational settling could drop them into the water table
without any need for additional surface water at all.  Is
that indeed the case for heavy individual molecules?

Thousands of things can cause birth defects, but nobody has yet
been able to suggest anything which can cause as many more as
400 tons of burned uranium.

Sincerely,
James Salsman