[ RadSafe ] Traveling After Nuclear Medicine Procedure May Not Fly

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Jul 27 16:28:57 CDT 2005

I may have mentioned this before on the list, I can't recall. I worked
recently with Lionel Zuckier of the New Jersey Medical School on a
miniproject to look at this. He evaluated the sensitivities of a number
of survey meters likely to be used in such applications for typical
radiopharmaceuticals (for obvious reasons we could not get specific
information about what instruments authorities are using in the field).
Looking at the effective clearance rates from the body, we estimated the
length of time that one would need to carry a letter. See this web site
if you are interested:

http://njms.umdnj.edu/departments/radiology/giegerintro.cfm

It shows the data and even gives a form letter that people can use. You
can contact Lionel as well (zuckier at umdnj.edu) if you wish. We presented
this at the Society of Nuclear Medicine meeting this summer and are
working on a publication.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068