[ RadSafe ] RE: [Know_Nukes] Article: RADIATION AND THE MICROENVIRONMENT TUMORIGENESIS AND THERAPY

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Wed Nov 2 18:03:05 CST 2005

Thanks John.

Friends, note that Nature is currently billing as a "Free access - Special
Feature" article (with free registration).  You can try:
http://www.nature.com/nrc/journal/v5/n11/full/nrc1735_fs.html

Mary Helen's work in recent years reflects the fact that DNA damage is
largely irrelevant to radiation effects in the light of the general
biological stimulation and repair mechanisms that govern responses, while DNA
damage itself is much greater from normal metabolism than from even
relatively high-dose radiation.  She started from concerns about breast
cancer and radiation therapy, to focus on responses in tissues rather than
cells.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide