[ RadSafe ] RE: [Know_Nukes] Article: RADIATION AND THE MICROENVIRONMENT TUMORIGENESIS AND THERAPY

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 09:40:24 CST 2005

Jim,
Thanks for posting the link.  I am hesitant as
sometimes they do not work, or people do not want to
register.

Again, biology is not like physics.  We have a lot of
learn.  For example,
". . . The irradiation of cells in vivo results in
fewer cells with chromosomal defects, and far fewer
chromosome abnormalities per cell, compared with in
vitro-derived irradiated cells. One possible
explanation for the difference might be the presence
of in vivo tissue-defense mechanisms that recognize
and remove aberrant cells. Apoptosis is generally
regarded as a non-inflammatory process42, 43 and so
would reduce the number of damaged cells in vivo.
However, in some circumstances, such as the acute
injury response that occurs following IR, the
resulting enzymatic activity associated with
phagocytosis of damaged cells can increase the release
of inflammatory cytokines as well as DNA-damaging free
radicals44-46. Wright and colleagues have postulated
that the delayed appearance of genomically unstable
haematopoietic cells in irradiated mice is consistent
with a long-lived tissue reaction to injury by
irradiation that is characteristic of an inflammatory
response acting in a 'bystander' fashion25."

http://www.nature.com/nrc/journal/v5/n11/full/nrc1735_fs.html

> Mary Helen's work in recent years reflects the fact
> that DNA damage is
> largely irrelevant to radiation effects in the light
> of the general
> biological stimulation and repair mechanisms that
> govern responses, while DNA
> damage itself is much greater from normal metabolism
> than from even
> relatively high-dose radiation.  She started from
> concerns about breast
> cancer and radiation therapy, to focus on responses
> in tissues rather than
> cells.
>
> Regards, Jim Muckerheide

=== message truncated ===