[ RadSafe ] "Chernobyl fall-out to return to TV"

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Thu Nov 3 12:40:52 CST 2005

Friends,

This is from a media reporting organization, C21 Media.

We should contribute to an industry effort to document the factual Chernobyl
story, as reflected in our "Science" paper and "ANS White Paper on Realism"
(and now with the more recent "Chernobyl Forum" report and related science
literature sources to add to the UNSCEAR 2000 Annex J and follow-up Kiev 2001
Conference).

Do you know of any effort to seriously document the significance of this
information (including the fact that 20 years is enough time to see adverse
health effects)?

There will be more science and info on the 20-year anniversary, but we should
not wait until then.  (We can obtain some key results that will be reported
then.)

Regards, Jim Muckerheide

===================

Chernobyl fall-out to return to TV

Cameras are rolling on a new documentary exploring the Chernobyl nuclear
disaster 20 years ago, a special that unites a trio of coproduction partners
in the US and France.

To finance the two-hour film, global broadcaster Discovery Networks
International has teamed up with Paris-based production company Play Film and
pubcaster France 3.

DNI will air the show across its network of Discovery Channels in 160
countries in Europe, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Transmission is
expected in April 2006, to mark the 20th anniversary of an environmental
disaster that is widely seen as the world's worst ever.

"Two decades later, the Chernobyl tragedy still continues to have profound
consequences for Ukraine and eastern Europe, and is just as relevant today as
it was 20 years ago," said Rebecca Batties, senior VP of creative development
and brand management at DNI.

Drawing on personal and eyewitness accounts, including those from ex-Soviet
premier Mikhail Gorbachev, plus CGI and archive material, the show will
document the events of April 2, 1986, and their environmental aftermath.

The photographic record of Igor Kostin will also be incorporated into the
film, which is directed by Thomas Johnson and produced by Play Film's Hind
Saih and Robert Curran for Discovery.

Ed Waller