[ RadSafe ] News: Physicists denounce aggressive nuclear policy

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 09:26:40 CST 2005

Maury,
I think that we have to look at the associated
politics. While there had been talk of using nuclear
weapons in the Korean War and in Viet Nam, they were
not. So, what are saving them for?

--- maurysis at ev1.net <maurysis at ev1.net> wrote:
> Hi John,
> The Hirsch comment is an interesting rationale that
does not seem very
> rational .... It has been noted that the only way to
make sure that
> government doesn't abuse its power is to not grant
it in the first
> place. The nuclear genie has long since departed.  A
nation without
> nuclear weapons can render citizens or a society
equally dead by a wide
> variety of methods.
> Cheers,
> Maury&Dog
>
> =================
> John Jacobus wrote:
>
> >Nature 438, 13 (3 November 2005)
> >Physicists denounce aggressive nuclear policy
> >
> >More than 700 physicists from around the world have
signed a petition opposing a US policy that would
> >permit the use of nuclear weapons against
non-nuclear nations.

> >Spawned during a lunchtime talk at the University
of
> >California, San Diego (UCSD), the petition is being
> >submitted to US government leaders. Eight Nobel
> >laureates have signed the petition, which was
started
> >by UCSD physicists Kim Griest and Jorge Hirsch.
> >
> >The administration of President George W. Bush has
> >said that, if provoked, it would consider using
> >nuclear bombs on a country without such weapons.
> >
> >"Physicists were responsible for these weapons,"
says
> >Hirsch, a native of Argentina. "We need to speak
out
> >more." The petitioners hope to win the support of
the
> >American Physical Society and the International
Atomic
> >Energy Agency at board meetings later this month.
> >
> > http://physics.ucsd.edu/petition

> >On Oct. 5, 1947, in the first televised White House
address, President Truman asked Americans to refrain
from eating meat on Tuesdays and poultry on Thursdays
to help stockpile grain for starving people in Europe.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com