[ RadSafe ] CT Screening Detected Radiologist's Kidney Cancer Early

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 11:27:21 CST 2005

Dr. Looney,
I do not know what party line I am quoting.  I was
asked for my opinion, which I provided.  The question
concerned asymptomatic patients.  I assume that you
had sceduled Nancy Greene for a CT scan because she
had some medical reason.  I do not what the AFIO is.
Are they a group that oppose nuclear energy?

There is no question that there are patients that have
occult diseases.  However, it appears that the
statistic probablity of improving the public health is
served by self-referral CT scanning is dubious.  Could
you guarentee that if Nancy Greene's cancer was
detected in 2002, she would have survived?  What if
her cancer was apparent on a CT scan until 2003?

I certainly did not imply that radiologist are behind
some scheme to make money off of CT scanning.
However, when the ACR comes out against the practice,
I would assume that carries a great deal of weight in
the medical profession.

http://www.acr.org

ACR Statement on CT Screening Exams
(supercedes statement of Sept. 27, 2000)

The American College of Radiology (ACR) recognizes
that an increasing number of computed tomography (CT)
screening examinations are being performed in the
United States. Much CT screening is targeted at
specific diseases, such as lung scanning for cancer in
current and former smokers, coronary artery calcium
scoring as a predictor of cardiac events and CT
colonography (virtual colonoscopy) for colon cancer.
Early data suggest that these targeted examinations
may be clinically valid. Large, prospective,
multicenter trials are currently under way or in the
planning phase to evaluate whether these screening
exams reduce the rate of mortality.

The ACR, at this time, does not believe there is
sufficient evidence to justify recommending total body
CT screening for patients with no symptoms or a family
history suggesting disease. To date, there is no
evidence that total body CT screening is cost
efficient or effective in prolonging life. In
addition, the ACR is concerned that this procedure
will lead to the discovery of numerous findings that
will not ultimately affect patients' health but will
result in unnecessary follow-up examinations and
treatments and significant wasted expense.

The ACR will continue to monitor scientific studies
concerning these procedures.

September 28, 2002