[ RadSafe ] NYT Article on EPA Yucca Mountain Standards

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Oct 13 13:05:22 CDT 2005

>Under the standard for the first 10,000 years, the most-exposed person
would receive an annual dose of no more than 15 millirem, ... For the
balance of a million years it would be 350 millirem
>Lois Gibbs, founder of the Center for Health, Environment and Justice,
a nonprofit group, called the extended standard as "a death sentence,"
saying the standard that would apply after the first 10,000 years was so
high that one in 36 people exposed at that level every year for a
lifetime would contract cancer as a result.

OK, John, quit pulling my leg. These must be quotes from an obscure
Harold Pinter play, right?

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068