[ RadSafe ] NYT Article on EPA Yucca Mountain Standards

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 13:18:44 CDT 2005

Mike,
Of course 36 people will get cancer.  About 50% of the
population will develop a cancer in their lifetime.
In a population of 10,000, it can be estimated that
5,000 people will develop cancer.  Of course, whether
or not the cancer was due to the Yucca Mt. repository
is a harder question to answer.

I think it is outrageous to make statements like this
without putting it into context.  But, then again, I
am not trying to stop the opening of Yucca Mt.

--- "Stabin, Michael"
<michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu> wrote:

> >Under the standard for the first 10,000 years, the
> most-exposed person
> would receive an annual dose of no more than 15
> millirem, ... For the
> balance of a million years it would be 350 millirem
> >Lois Gibbs, founder of the Center for Health,
> Environment and Justice,
> a nonprofit group, called the extended standard as
> "a death sentence,"
> saying the standard that would apply after the first
> 10,000 years was so
> high that one in 36 people exposed at that level
> every year for a
> lifetime would contract cancer as a result.
>
> OK, John, quit pulling my leg. These must be quotes
> from an obscure
> Harold Pinter play, right?
>

> Mike
>
> Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
> Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological
> Sciences
> Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
> Vanderbilt University
> 1161 21st Avenue South
> Nashville, TN 37232-2675
> Phone (615) 343-0068
> Fax   (615) 322-3764
> Pager (615) 835-5153
> e-mail     michael.g.stabin at vanderbilt.edu
> internet   www.doseinfo-radar.com

On Oct. 5, 1947, in the first televised White House address, President Truman asked Americans to refrain from eating meat on Tuesdays and poultry on Thursdays to help stockpile grain for starving people in Europe.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com