[ RadSafe ] Educating USA antinucs

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Fri Oct 14 20:18:46 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/14/2005 11:44:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jastharris at aol.com writes:

Part of  the problem is how to go about talking to the public.  For example,
I  have been told by many media experts that we should not be "educating" the
public, rather we should be "informing" them. "Educating" in this context is
perceived as demeaning, as if non-radiation protection people are stupid or
ignorant.  Communicating effectively and respectfully is key. Just my two
cents worth.

I've heard this before from others, and I still can't quite buy into  it.  As
(I think) Floyd pointed out, I wouldn't feel demeaned by a surgeon
"educating" me about surgical techniques, surgical risks, etc.  I don't  really
understand why anyone would feel demeaned by the offer of education on a  topic they
have not studied.  Health physics is a relatively rare and  unusual scientific
specialty, and in order to really gain insight into the  actual risks
associated with radiation exposure, one really needs to have spent  a significant
amount of time studying the various topical areas that comprise  the field of
health physics.  There is nothing wrong with not knowing  everything.  In fact,
if one thinks one does know everything, there's  probably something seriously
wrong.

Barbara L. Hamrick, CHP, JD