[ RadSafe ] Beta emitters and external risks

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Sat Oct 15 10:47:51 CDT 2005

Hi John,

I wouldn't ignore skin dose as a radiation hazard. At around 9
rad/hr/microcurie/cm^2 high energy beta emitters are probably the biggest
radiation hazard normally encountered in a research environment.

There are other beta emitters that present a hazard, and some come
disguised. F-18 is known for its use in PETT with the 511 annihilation
radiation, but the intermediate energy positrons can give one heck of a beta
burn (and have in the past) before the gamma dose is significant.

While low energy beta emitters such as C-14 may present a reduced risk due
to air and dead layer absorption, one shouldn't ignore the potential rish
from beta emitters.