[ RadSafe ] Beta emitters and external risks

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 19:58:40 CDT 2005

Dale,
You misunderstood what I am look for. If you had a
drop of a beta emitting radionuclide on a table what
betas are of concern if you are standing by the table?
by the way, F-18 and other PET radionuclides emitt
positron or beta+ particles. Shielding for the
annihilation photon radiation shields for the positron
particles.

--- radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl <daleboyce at charter.net>
wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I wouldn't ignore skin dose as a radiation hazard.
At around 9
> rad/hr/microcurie/cm^2 high energy beta emitters are
probably the biggest
> radiation hazard normally encountered in a research
environment.

> There are other beta emitters that present a hazard,
and some come
> disguised. F-18 is known for its use in PETT with
the 511 annihilation
> radiation, but the intermediate energy positrons can
give one heck of a beta
> burn (and have in the past) before the gamma dose is
significant.

> While low energy beta emitters such as C-14 may
present a reduced risk due
> to air and dead layer absorption, one shouldn't
ignore the potential rish
> from beta emitters.

risks

> > Question:  Would you say that beta emitters pose
an
> > external radiation hazard or risk?  I am not
consider
> > skin contamination.
> >
> > Are there any (other) beta emitters that you would
> > consider to be a significant external hazard?
> >
> > What is your criteria for this judgement?
> >
> > (Background:  I would in a medical research
facility,
> > and we require beta shields for work involving
large,
> > e.g., 10 mCi/370 MBq, amounts of P-32.  Are there
> > other beta emitters we should worry about?)
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++
> > On Oct. 5, 1947, in the first televised White
House address, President
> > Truman asked Americans to refrain from eating meat
on Tuesdays and poultry
> > on Thursdays to help stockpile grain for starving
people in Europe.

> > -- John
> > John Jacobus, MS
> > Certified Health Physicist
> > e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com

> > Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to
have read and understood
> > the RadSafe rules. These can be found at:
> > http://radlab.nl/radsafe/radsaferules.html
> >
> > For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe
and other settings

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com