[ RadSafe ] Re: is uranyl oxide gas the greatest threat from the actinides?

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Sat Oct 15 16:23:30 CDT 2005

> Isn't there some dark corner of history where humans got
> involved with exposure to chemical teratogens?

How could anyone forget thalidomide?  Here are two histories,
American and European:

http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/women/html/wh_036900_thalidomide.htm

http://www.thalidomide.ca/en/information/history_of_thalidomide.html

I guess we all can't wait to find out whether uranyl poisoning
causes second generation birth defects.  Thalidomide does not.

The biggest problem in terms of dollars, I predict, will be the
treatment of immune system disorders and their congagion
implications in another 15 years from now.  Also, unless someone
starts showing the birth defect incidence rate curve over time
for the children of the exposed fathers, we will have no reason
not to assume that it is inflected upward.

Sincerely,
James