[ RadSafe ] Dr. Atomic

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Oct 18 05:50:25 CDT 2005

Do you like opera? I sure don't. Here's a snip from a NY Times review of
the opera "Dr. Atomic", opening in San Francisco now. I seriously doubt
that anyone could make me love hearing this second part below. This will
NOT go on the RADAR music page, no way.

------
Some of them are natural songs, like the John Donne poem from which J.
Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, got the name
Trinity and that he sings with a mixture of pride and dread scrabbling
on the desert floor:

Batter my heart, three person'd God ....
Take me to you, imprison me, for I
Except you' enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

Others are lines that only an opera singer could make you love, about,
say, how the detonators are placed around the bomb's core to compress it
to the critical mass necessary to ignite nuclear fission:

We surround the plutonium core
from thirty two points
spaced equally around its surface,
the thirty two points
are the centers of the
twenty triangular faces
of an icosahedron
interwoven with the
twelve pentagonal faces of a dodecahedron.
------

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068