[ RadSafe ] UT Incident

LNMolino at aol.com LNMolino at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 11:44:28 CDT 2005

October 25, 2005 - UT building evacuated for more than 2 hours.
Detector indicated that unsafe level of radiation was possible.

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, October 25, 2005

About 200  students and faculty members were evacuated from the
University of Texas'  Experimental Sciences building for more than
two hours Monday night after a  campus officer's dosimeter, a device
worn to detect radiation, went off and  triggered a response from the
Austin Fire Department.

At 6 p.m., the  officer had gone to the building because a student
had reported a  plastic-smelling smoke. When the officer walked in,
his dosimeter signaled  that there might be unsafe levels of
radiation in the building.

It  turned out that the levels of radiation in the building were not
unsafe, UT  police spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon said. Dosimeters are
very sensitive to  radiation, which is why the device was triggered.

The smoke was caused  by plastic lab utensils that had been left in a
warming oven.

Students and faculty were allowed to return to the building about
8:30 p.m.

Louis N.  Molino, Sr., CET
FF/NREMT-B/FSI/EMSI
LNMolino at aol.com
979-690-7559  (Office)
979-412-0890 (Cell Phone)
979-690-7562 (Office Fax)

"A  Texan with a Jersey Attitude"

The comments contained in this E-mail are  the opinions of the author and the
author alone. I in no way ever intend to  speak for any person or
organization that I am in any way whatsoever involved or  associated with unless I
specifically state that I am doing so. Further this  E-mail is intended only for its
stated recipient and may contain private and or  confidential materials
retransmission is strictly prohibited unless placed in  the public domain by the
original author.