[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Power/ Greenhouse Effect/ Massive AfricanHumanImpacts

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Fri Oct 28 13:51:31 CDT 2005

Regarding Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, DDT, and bird egg shells:
Carson referenced, in Silent Spring, two published studies by James
Dewitt. Just a few years ago, I obtained a copy of both of those studies
and verified that Carson drew conclusions from them that were very
nearly the reverse of Dewitt's findings. Jaro's description below is
accurate. Carson grossly distorted conclusions drawn from Dewitt's data
about the effects of DDT.

I have read some of the primary research literature on DDT collected
since DDT was banned by Ruckleshaus, the first head of EPA. I am
persuaded that it is a sad history of political distortion having little
to do with science and experimental data. The political goal was to
establish firmly the existence of the newly established EPA; the goal
was not to save humans or any other wildlife. I believe that many
researchers pursued the DDT issues in good faith to answer valid
scientific concerns about the effects of DDT. I do not believe the
political cast of characters in this episode were similarly motivated.

The scientific goals were reached successfully by the scientists; the
political goals were reached successfully by the bureaucrats. We now
have no DDT, lots of malaria, and a firmly established EPA.
Cheers,
Maury&Dog   (maurysis at ev1.net
"Demagoguery beats data in the making of public policy"