[ RadSafe ] Waterford 3 after Katrina

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Sat Sep 3 04:26:10 CDT 2005

If the article below isn't the best argument for requiring
multiple geographically separate, running instances of any
particular plant design, I don't know what could be.  On the
other hand, having to clear evacuation routes to meet some
ideal 10 CFR 50 Appendix E community evacuation standards in
a situation like this is certainly overkill.  The higher-ups
need to balance the competing specific safety plans with the
spirit of the laws which ultimately authorize them.  In
extraordinary circumstances like this, adherence to the
letter of such plans likely do more real harm than expected
good.  But is there even a means for higher authorities to
waive strict adherence to community evacuation plans after a
local disaster?  Shouldn't there be?

Sincerely,
James

http://www.couriernews.com/story.asp?ID=9340

Entergy sends ANO manpower to restore power

By Scott Perkins

Arkansas Nuclear One (ANO) staff members and hundreds of Entergy
Arkansas employees traveled Thursday to Louisiana and Mississippi to
help restore power to the stricken areas in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Three-hundred-and-sixty-one Entergy employees will travel to Louisiana
and Mississippi to assist with recovery of lines and other energy
infrastructure, according to Phil Fisher, communications manager and
spokesman for ANO.

An additional 23 technicians from ANO headed to Waterford 3, the nuclear
power plant near New Orleans and a sister plant to ANO, after it was
taken off-line as a precautionary measure before Hurricane Katrina’s
arrival Monday.

“A number of ANO technicians went to Waterford 3 to ensure the plant is
ready to go online,” Fisher said. “It was taken off line for
precautions, but it looks good. They will make sure it is ready to start
safely.”

When asked about the impact of the recovery effort on ANO’s staffing,
Fisher said, “We have a number of things going on. We are preparing for
fall outage, however, we have adequate staff here to cover the needs of
ANO.”

“I can’t say how long the local Entergy personnel will be there. Our
main purpose is to give the employees of Waterford 3 that are already
there a break,” Fisher said. “They live in the area, some of their homes
have been damaged or lost, and we’re going to give them a break.”
Fisher said since Waterford 3 is a sister plant, it is usual for
employees from ANO to offer assistance, although, this the first time
ANO employees have responded to a tragedy like Hurricane Katrina.

“I hope they can rebuild their city,” Fisher said.