[ RadSafe ] Looking for References on Liquid Counting for Tritium

Kaihola, Lauri Lauri.Kaihola at perkinelmer.com
Wed Sep 7 07:19:18 CDT 2005

Hello Felipe,

1. Acetone introduces much quench, but Tritium signal is well measurable
though.  Acetone quenching was discussed by S.W. Wunderly, Evaluation of
liquid scintillation counting accuracy: effect of various chemical quenching
agents and effect of milky sample preparations, in Advances in Scintillation
Counting", eds. S.A. McQuarrie, C. Ediss and L.I. Wiebe, Banff, University
of Alberta Press 1983, pp.  376-393.  The same matter was considered when
Wallac developed spectrum library concept for LSCs:  Kenneth Rundt, The
effect of quench curve shape of the solvent and quencher in a liquid
scintillation counter,  in Ross, H.,  Noakes, J.E. and Spaulding, J.D.,
eds., Liquid Scintillation Counting and Organic Scintillators, Lewis
Publishers, 1991, pp. 257-268.

2. It is possible to monitor random coincidence signal in an LSC.  Quantulus
contains a delayed coincidence circuitry operating simultaneously with
prompt coincidence circuitry and enabling storage of pure random coincidence
and sample spectra.  The (stable) random coincidence signal from phototube
thermal noise is about 0.20 CPM.  Any (chemi)luminescence signal would not
be stable and is also easily recognizable by its shape and location in low
channels.  Strong sonoluminescence signal will be present during acoustic
cavitation, but should disappear when acoustic excitation is terminated.

3. Tritium detection by LSC should be fine, when it can be done off-line.

Sincerely,

Lauri

Lauri Kaihola, Ph.D.
Associate Product Leader
PerkinElmer Life and Analytical Sciences
Wallac Oy
P.O. Box 10
FIN-20101 Turku
Finland

Tel.       +358 2 267 8376
Mobile +358 40 847 5697
Fax       +358 2 267 8332,   +358 2 267 8357

Email:   lauri.kaihola at perkinelmer.com
http://www.perkinelmer.com

Message: 11